Friday, January 14, 2011

All Things Old

I’ve never quite been able to figure out my crazy obsession with “all things old” (vintage, antique).  It completely goes against my want/need for CONVENIENCE!  I can’t even begin to imagine my life without my washer and dryer … or my microwave.  And how does one clean their house without their DYSON?  It’s unthinkable to think about getting hot water from anywhere except the hot water heater!  And heating the house with wood?  Or not having an air-conditioner in the summer?  I don’t think so!  So to say that I LOVE modern conveniences would be an understatement … yet I can spend hours in an antique store or daydreaming through the zillions of antique and vintage items offered on eBay.


The older furniture pieces were so beautiful.  Kitchen utensils were so sturdy.  Items from the 1920’s, 1930’s, 1940’s … they look like pieces of art to me.  While others see the beauty in a Rembrandt painting, I see the beauty in a framed vintage piece of advertising.  Nothing catches my eye quicker than a 1930’s Baking Powder Tin, or a huge wooden bobbin.  I love old windows and doorknobs.  Old and distressed china is more beautiful to me than anything brand new.  Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong era … well, except for the fact of the many NECESSARY modern conveniences that I also enjoy!

Thinking about it though, I guess I was born in the right era … this way I can have the best of both worlds.  I can enjoy all of my modern conveniences, and can also enjoy the vintage and antique items that threaten to crowd me out of my own house!

(soon I will try to post some pictures of my Schilling Tin collection … and my wooden bobbin collection … and my vintage kitchen utensil collection … and …… uuuuuggggghhhhhhhhh).

1 comment:

  1. Oh, This is so me too!!!!! I can't explain it either....except that when I was a child and I visited my grandparents out of state, they both lived in very old vintage homes and were born in the late 1800's, so they were prone to have all of the wonderful items I can barely find now.....I am a lover of anything 1940's, especially kitchen! OK...I just wanted to stop by and say hello and thank you for following my blog! You were # 300 !!!!! My gosh! :):) Sandy

    ReplyDelete